Working in the US2017-11-01T21:16:35-04:00

Work Authorization and Spouse/Partner Relicensing

Work Authorization Eligible Dependents

G-4 dependents who would like to seek employment in the U.S. must obtain work authorization. Under current regulations, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants U.S. work authorization to the following G-4 dependents:

  • Spouses and same-sex domestic partners
  • Unmarried children under age 21;
  • Unmarried children under age 23 who are full-time students at post-secondary educational institutions; and
  • Unmarried children of any age who are physically or mentally disabled.

Eligible dependents may be authorized to work at any type of job, including unskilled or semi-skilled jobs, on a part-time or temporary basis.

Dependents of G-4 visa holders who seek employment in other international organizations may either become a principal staff member in that institution or work under valid work authorization as a G-4 dependent. Dependents who take on full-time employment at an embassy will need to change from G to A status.

Obtaining Work Authorization

G-4 visas are issued to your dependents (spouses, same-sex domestic partners and eligible children) prior to entering the U.S.  Before they can begin working, however, they must acquire a Personal Identity Number (PID) from the U.S. Department of State (DOS) and then apply for, and receive, work authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

These processes cannot be initiated prior the employee’s entry on duty, and each typically takes between 4 and 6 weeks. Your spouse and/or dependent should understand that it could take 12 weeks or longer before he/she may begin working in the U.S. Many Fund spouses use this time to take advantage of benefits such as the Spouse Employment Assistance Program and subsidized English language programs for spouses and partners, or to pursue continuing education courses on one’s own.

Here is how the authorization process works:

  1. To work in the U.S., a G-4 dependent must have a Personal Identification Number (PID) issued by the State Department (DOS). The IMF, as the sponsoring organization, reports new employees and family members to the DOS, typically at the end of each month. It normally takes between 4 and 6 weeks from the time the information is submitted until the PID is received.
  2. Once the individual has received a PID, he or she may apply for work authorization. The application is processed through the IMF’s Visa Services Office (VSO). The process, which normally takes from 4 to 6 weeks, includes:
  • Completing Form I-566 (Interagency Record of Request for Dependent Employment Authorization), through which the DOS confirms the eligibility of the applicant to work in the U.S.
  • Completing Form I-765 (Employment Authorization), which will be sent from the DOS to the USCIS as a request for an Employment Authorization Card (EAC).
  • Securing a description of the anticipated employment from either the prospective employer or from an individual who intends to be self-employed:
    • a. The letter from the prospective employer should be on official stationery and include:
      • i. A statement that the applicant is qualified for the job
      • ii. The job title and brief description of duties
      • iii. The number of hours expected to be worked per week
      • iv. The salary or other means of remuneration
    • b. The letter from a prospective self-employed applicant should include:
      • i. A statement of intent to work in a particular field
      • ii. A brief description of title and duties
      • iii. A description of how much you intend to charge
      • iv. The number of hours of work expected
  1. Once you have provided this information to the VSO, it is sent to the DOS. The DOS endorses the I-566 and forwards the request to the USCIS, which issues the EAC to the applicant.
  2. Once an individual receives the EAC, he/she may begin to work and apply for a U.S. Social Security number.

Frequently Asked Questions about G-4 Visa Dependents

  • Are G-4 visa dependents immune from income tax or Social Security liability on wages earned in the United States?
  • No.  G-4 visa dependents who are granted employment authorization are responsible for paying all federal, state, and local income, employment, and related taxes and Social Security contributions on any compensation received.  Employers withhold applicable taxes and FICA duties from G-4 dependents just as they do for their other employees.
  • For how long can a G-4 dependent work in the United States?
  • Once approved, an application for employment is typically granted for three years.  However, work authorization can be continually renewed for as long as the G-4 dependent is legally entitled to remain in the U.S. Dependents are reminded to allow sufficient time to apply for authorization renewals to avoid a gap between the expiration of the current EAC and the issuance of a new one.
  • Can a G-4 dependent work for an employer after being authorized to work as a self-employed individual?
  • Yes.  In many instances, a G-4 dependent who initially obtained work authorization as a self-employed individual is hired to work for an employer.  In that case, the G-4 dependent can begin to work for the new employer under his or her currently valid EAC.
  • Are there any special procedures involving children who hold G-4 dependent visas?
  • If the dependent is under 17, he or she will need a labor certification from the child’s school or relevant county official.  If the dependent is between 21 and 23, he or she will need to provide a letter from the post-secondary institution documenting full-time student status and the expected date of graduation. The letter must be on university letterhead with the school seal.
  • Is employing someone on a G-4 dependent visa the same as “sponsoring” that person under the immigration laws?
  • No.  Hiring a G-4 dependent who has acquired work authorization as described above does not constitute “sponsorship” of the employee as that term is used and recognized in other aspects of immigration law. For example, in the case of temporary employees hired pursuant to section 101(a)(15)(H)(i)(b) of the INA (commonly referred to as “H-1B employees”) or in the case of individuals applying for immigrant status, an employer must actively sponsor an applicant and deal directly with both the US Department of Labor and the USCIS.  This is not the case for employers who hire G-4 dependents.
  • If my spouse’s employer has agreed to sponsor my spouse, currently holding a G-4 nonimmigrant visa, for an immigrant visa (green card), can he or she then change status to that of an immigrant? Alternatively, if my spouse is successful in the Annual Immigration Diversity Lottery, is he or she eligible to change status?
  • Yes. A dependent spouse or child can change status from nonimmigrant to immigrant status, provided he or she is eligible for such status, files the appropriate documents, and is approved by the USCIS.


The topics presented on this page are provided by the IMF for informational purposes. Policies governing the issuance of non-immigrant visas and dependent work authorization are determined by the U.S. authorities.

Spouse/Partner Relicensing

The purpose of the Spouse/Partner Relicensing Program is to support eligible spouses/partners in the Washington, DC, area in obtaining U.S. re-licensing for the profession in which they were employed prior to moving to Washington, DC.


  • Applicant should be spouse/partner of regular, fixed- and limited-term staff and meet the criteria of spouse/partner as defined in GAO No. 28, Section 4;
  • Spouse/partner should have practiced the profession 2 years or more within 10 years preceding arrival in Washington, D.C.;
  • The profession should be recognized as a legally licensed profession in both the United States and the previous employment location; and
  • Spouse/partner must successfully finish the re-licensing process within 3 years.

Calculation & Approval of Benefits
The maximum benefit is 75 percent reimbursement of the tuition and mandatory fees, not to exceed $10,000 per spouse/partner. The Fund will determine the entitlement on the basis of the net costs incurred, taking into consideration financial aid or a scholarship award from any other source. The benefit is approved by the Division Chief, HR Services Division.

Spouse/partner must contact Sheila McKenna, the Spouse/Partner Career Counselor of the Fund at or 202-623-6035 to discuss eligibility.

The following documentation must be submitted:

  • Application Form
  • Clear copy of existing professional license with an English translation
  • Evidence of practice in the profession for two years or more

Upon completion of the re-licensing process, the following documentation must be submitted:

  • Request for Reimbursement Form
  • Copy of the new license
  • Original of your receipt for your payment

Payment will be made only after

  • Your spouse/partner has successfully obtained a valid license; and

All required documentation has been submitted.

Salary Advance
You may be eligible for a Salary Advance for Education Purposes to initially finance the re-certification. To apply for a salary advance, please follow the salary advance procedure. If you have used a Salary Advance for Educational Purposes for re-certification, this re-licensing payment must be used to pay off any remaining salary advance.

We have made every effort to accurately describe the key elements of your benefits and entitlements in a simplified manner. If you require further details or clarifications, please consult the relevant policies, plan documents, rules, and regulations. These policy documents are the authoritative source and would govern in the event of any inconsistency with the content of this published information.

Work Authorization Application Checklist of Documents:

Download the full checklist here.

Form I-566 | instructions (valid until May 2018)
Form I-765 | instructions (valid until February 2018)
Letter of Employment (sample letter)
Resume / CV
A clear photocopy of passport ID page
A clear photocopy of I-94 form
A clear photocopy of G-4 visa
Two acceptable color photographs (requirements)

Social Security Number

G-4 dependent working in the United States with a work authorization will likely need a Social Security number (SSN) for identification and tax purposes. Read more about applying for a SNN on our Visa and Immigration page.