Drivers License

The procedure and documentation required to obtain a U.S. driver’s license vary from state to state, particularly for first-time applicants with licenses from other countries, but the following are generally required:

  • Application form
  • Proof of age and identity (e.g.,  passport, out-of-state driver’s license, birth certificate)
  • Proof of legal U.S. presence (visa and  form I-94)
  • Proof of state residency (e.g., mortgage  statement, recent utility bill, paycheck stub, rental agreement/lease)
  • Social Security Number (social security  card, paycheck stub, social security statement)
  • Ability to pass a vision test
  • Ability to pass a written and driver’s  test (may be required for first-time applicants or renewals)

In addition to the above requirements, G4 visa holders have special requirements such as the Department of State Letter, Personal Identification Number (PID), and Social Security Number explained below.

Department of State Letter

You will need to present a letter from the U.S. Department of State (DOS) that certifies your visa status. This also applies to domestic employees on a G-5 visa. All G-4 visa holders need this letter to get a license, even if they have been issued a U.S. license in the past. The IMF can obtain the DOS certification letter for you. Letters take approximately 6-8weeks for the DOS to process. The Fund staff can request the DOS on behalf of the spouse by submitting a ticket through the Fund’s internal application called MyHR.


Personal Identification Number (PID)

All G-4 Fund employees are also required to have a PID before applying for a Driver’s License. A PID is issued by the U.S. State Department to every Fund employee and his/her dependents. This can be requested by the fund employee by submitting a ticket through the Fund’s internal application called MyHR. 


Social Security Number

G-4 visa holders employed by international organizations such as the IMF or the UN often do not apply for an SSN because it is not a requirement of their employment with the international organization. However, new driver's license applicants need to provide either an SSN or a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) stating that the applicant is not eligible for an SSN. Anyone who applies for a SSN will get either: 1) a receipt stating that he/she has applied for an SSN or 2) a letter denying the application and stating the reason why. Persons who are not eligible for SSN's, e.g., G-4 spouses and children without work authorization, will get the letter.  To apply for SSN, visit the Social Security Administration website at

Please check with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for the exact requirements for obtaining a driver’s license. Below are the link to their respective websites.

Washington DC:



Sign up to be an IMFFA member

Membership is free of charge. We welcome IMF staff spouses, domestic partners, and children. We also encourage IMF staff that are single parents with young children to become a member.