Be informed. Knowledge is power!

The information below will help you navigate life in the U.S. and provide a smooth transition experience.


We got some websites with numerous information about what to do in the Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) area. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your fellow IMFFA members or our office if you would like specific information.

Work Permit

IMF spouses on a G4 dependent visa are not automatically allowed to work in the USA. However, once they have moved to the USA and the IMF employees have started their job, the spouses can apply for work authorization (commonly known as EAD) and work in the DMV area.

Drivers License

To drive in the United States, you need a driver’s license issued by the state in which you live. Although an international driver’s license can be used for a short time after you arrive (30 days for DC, 60 days for Maryland and Virginia), it is recommended that you get your U.S. state license as soon as possible.


Learn how to move around the area. information on parking, public transportation system, ridesharing and carsharing available!


Education in the United States is mainly provided by the public sector, with control and funding coming from three different levels: federal, state, and local. Child education is compulsory and can be satisfied by many ways such as public schools, state-certified private schools, or an approved home school program.


The Washington DC Metropolitan area, also called the ‘DMV’ area consists of two states and the District: Virginia (VA), Maryland (MD) and The District of Columbia (DC). There are many neighborhoods and homes to choose from!

Sign up to be an IMFFA member

Membership is free of charge. We welcome IMF staff spouses, domestic partners, and children. We also encourage IMF staff that are single parents with young children to become a member.